OFFICIAL NOTICE, 2015-03-01:
The 2015 Chatanika Challenge is cancelled.
Due to open water and other poor trail conditions, low sign up numbers and time running short we are forced to cancel this years race.
We will have the Valley Funale on March 28th and will post available race lengths closer to the day. All depends once again on trail conditions.
Thank you for your understanding.
Previous announcement — now obsolete:
The 2015 Two Rivers 200 and 100 mile races will take place starting on Friday, March 13, 2015. The 200 mile race is a qualifier for the Iditarod and Yukon Quest 1000 mile sled dog races.
- Thursday, March 12: Bib draw and paperwork. Start 6pm AKDT at the Two Rivers Lodge. Bib draw starts at 7pm. Please bring your vaccination records.
- Friday, March 13: Race start: noon, in 2 min intervals (200 mile mushers first, 100/50 mile mushers afterwards).
- Sunday, March 15: Awards banquet at Two Rivers Lodge (Fixed price, TBA). 6pm AKDT
- $400 — 200 mile race
- $200 — 100 mile race.
Race purse & prizes
At least 50% of the received race fees, plus purse-related sponsorships. We will announce the prospective purse amount at the latest two weeks before the race start. The purse will be distributed as follows:
1st: 40% − 2nd: 30% − 3rd: 15% − 4th: 10% − 5th: 5%
There will also be further prizes and awards made possible by our sponsors:
- RES Metal Works has offered to make and donate trophies
- Phoenix Rising Body & Paint is sponsoring a entry fee refund drawing: One finisher of the 100 mile and of the 200 mile race, respectively, will get will each be awarded their race entry fee in full (on top of any other earnings). The name of the lucky mushers will be randomly drawn at the Finish Banquet and the awardee must be present to win
- … and there will be more, including a hand-made knitted hat
Signed-up mushers [last edit: Feb. 11, 2015]
Two Rivers 200:
- Joanna Jagow
- Tony Angelo
Two Rivers 100:
1. Rod Boyce
How to sign up
Sign up is organized online here on this web site with online payment (PayPal), opening on Sunday, February 8, 2015 at noon.
- Please use one of these forms: Two Rivers 200 mile race or Two Rivers 100 mile race
- You also need to be a member in good standing for your registration to be effective. You can become a member via the online membership form.
[last updated Feb. 21, 2015]
The race will start at Chatanika Lodge as in past years. Mushers will go over Iowa Dome and drop into the Two Rivers area possibly proceeding all the way to Pleasant Valley Store.
Two Rivers Lodge may or may not be a checkpoint at this time. This will depend on trail conditions to be assessed next weekend.
Teams will make the run to Angel Creek Lodge after Pleasant Valley where there will be a cabin available to mushers/handlers.
Then the final run to the Finish Back at Pleasant Valley Store.
This is the best info we have available currently. The warm weather is changing the trail as we speak and making it impossible to determine exact routes at this time. We will keep you as informed as possible to all changes that may arise before race day.
We would like to see a minimum of 10 sign ups by March 4th to be sure it is financially feasible to put on the race.
A copy of the provisional race rules can be downloaded here. Please note that this document may still undergo revision before the race day. All racers will be supplied with rule documents during the bib draw event.