- The race begins at Chatanika Lodge at mile 28 on the Steese Highway. The route follows a series of trails and roads to Cleary Summit and over to Iowa Dome before descending into the Little Chena River drainage. After crossing the Little Chena, the trail heads toward Chena Hot Springs Road and the first checkpoint, Two Rivers Lodge.
- From there, it will cross under Jenny M Bridge , turns west and follow a series of trails using the Two Rivers trail system, to the second checkpoint, Pleasant Valley Store.
- Out of Pleasant Valley Store, the trail heads back south of Chena Hot Springs Road and runs through the same loop of 20+ miles on the Two Rivers trail system before heading east and crossing the road at mile 27, heading out to Angel Creek Lodge (third checkpoint). At approx. 63 miles, this is the longest leg of the race.
- The last leg is straight back to Pleasant Valley store on the same trail. (34 miles) The finish will be at the Pleasant Valley Store checkpoint.
The finalized trail will be subject to change because of weather or safety concerns.
The “double loop” on the south side was chosen because of very heavy glaciation and overflow on the Flattop trail. We therefore had to re-route that traditional section of our race.
- Chatanika Lodge to Two Rivers Lodge: 46 milies
- Two Rivers Lodge to Pleasant Valley Store: 42 miles (11 miles first part to Jenny M Bridge, 31 miles to PVS)
- Pleasant Valley Store to Angel Creek Lodge: 63 miles (can be shortened if weather requires it)
- Angel Creek Lodge to PVS: 34 miles
On the section PVS -> AC, mushers will cross Chena Hot Springs Road at mile 27. The road crossing is approx. 32 miles from either PVS or AC. The TRDMA will plan in volunteers to secure the road crossing, but ultimate responsibility for a safe crossing lies with the musher. Handlers are strongly invited to be present at the crossing when their musher crosses over to help ensure safety. This is not considered “assistance” as per the race rules and explicitly allowed. The crossing will be marked. All other trail crossings with Chena Hot Springs Road (at Jenny M Bridge and close to Angel Creek) pass under the road.
Handlers are responsible for transporting drop bags and any extra straw to the checkpoints.
- Mushers as well as vets and key volunteers receive one entry ticket to the finisher’s and award banquet. Mushers also receive a coupon for a snack (soup or similar) at Two Rivers Lodge.
- One bale of straw will be provided to each 200 mile musher by the TRDMA at the Pleasant Valley Store checkpoint. Any extra straw must be provided by the musher and transported by their handler.
- Sleeping/rest areas for mushers will be available at the Pleasant Valley Store and Angel Creek checkpoints.
- We are working on snacks for mushers available at for checkpoints. Pleasant Valley Store offers groceries and fuel for sale and will be open all night Friday and until midnight Saturday. All lodges offer food for sale.
- Cold water will be available at all checkpoints.
Notes on the Bib Draw on March 7
- Mushers will receive bibs and mushers’ packs
- We are providing notepads for vet and official use and will go over how to pre-mark them
- GPS trackers will be assigned
- Please bring your vet records
- NOTE: Some mushers may still need to complete memberships. We will sort out these situations Thursday