The Chatanika Challenge / Two Rivers 200 with its associated 100 and 50 mile race is the main event of the Two Rivers Dog Mushers Association racing season. This year’s event is scheduled for March 8-10, 2012, with bib draw/start banquet at the Two Rivers Lodge on March 7. The 200 mile race is a qualifier for the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod 1000 mile sled dog races. Please let us know beforehand if you would like to run the race as a qualifier. Also note that every participant has to be a member in good standing with the Two Rivers Dog Mushing Association, so if you are not a member yet, please join a membership form and the appropriate fee to your application.
Note: Sign-up in person at the bib draw (Thursday March 7, 6pm, Two Rivers Lodge) is possible, but subject to a late fee of $25.
Race rules were last updated: Feb. 24, 2013
Two Rivers 200:
- Alyssa Komac
- Amanda Gecas
- Greg Stoddard
- Nicole Faille
- Christian Turner
- Matt Hall
- Rick Swenson
- Tony Angelo
- Wayne Curtis
- Jjay Levy
- Leila Javadi
- Shaynee Seipke
- Jesse Brattrud
- Lev Shvartz
- Mandy Nauman
- Kevin Currier
Two Rivers 100:
- Jimmy Lebling
- Joanna Jagow
- Evan Lawrence
- Tom Ruszkowski
- Iris Sutton
- Rod Boyce
Two Rivers 50:
- Suzan Amundsen
- Tamara Rose
Deadline: Feb. 28, 2013 — last update: Feb. 20
Officials and organization
Race Marshall: Rick Armstrong
Race Judge: Abbie West
Trail boss: Mike Green
Race preparation: Scott Chesney, Greg Stoddard & the TRDMA board
Checkpoint managers/head checkers:
- Chatanika Lodge (start) & Two Rivers Lodge: Bill McKee
- Pleasant Valley Store: Sandra Kramps & Torben Metzner
- Angel Creek Lodge: Chris Waigl
At last 50% of the entry fees. We expect a $2000 purse for the Two Rivers 200.
Sportsmanship Award (TR200) will be chosen by the fellow mushers.
Vet Award (TR200) will be chosen by the veterinarians.
We thank our sponsors at Trackleaders.com for their support of the Chatanika Challenge — we will be offering live GPS tracking for the first time!
- Thursday, March 7: Bib draw and paperwork. Start 6pm AKST at the Two Rivers Lodge. Bib draw starts at 7pm. Please bring your vaccination records.
- Friday, March 8: Breakfast at Chatanika Lodge (approx. $12/adult) at 9am AKST; mandatory mushers’ meeting 10 am AKST; affixing of GPS trackers to sled bags and gear check. Race start: noon, in 2 min intervals (200 mile mushers first, 100/50 mile mushers afterwards).
- Sunday, March 10: Awards banquet at Two Rivers Lodge: Ribs, bean, corn on the cob, salad and dessert. $27/person (mushers and vets receive a free ticket). 6pm AKDT (5pm AKST) — please note the clock change!