Dear members, friends and supporters, the 2014/15 season is drawing to a close, and we have some news to share:
1. The Valley Funale (see flyer below) will take place as usual on Saturday, March 28, at the Pleasant Valley Store. But there is news! We had representatives from the Junior Dog Mushers of the Interior at our March 2015 meeting last week, and are planning to add some junior classes for the 10 and 20 mile race as well as a 2-3 dog 3-5 mile loop for juniors only. There will also be the usual 1-2 dog races on the short loop for all children. We’re looking into trail options for that last one and will add volunteers to ensure our juniors have an enjoyable race on new trails!
2. Speaking of meetings, we now have this season’s meeting minutes up online for download. Click the link in the previous sentence, or look in the menu below “Membership”. Board elections will be coming up soon (watch this space for descriptions of offices and volunteer roles), so feel free to consult the minutes of this season’s decisions.
3. Stacy Snyder, the TRDMA president, has been working on a revamp of our beloved logo, to make it easier to print and embroider so that we can have good-looking TRDMA merchandise in the future. Stacy has also been looking into locally produced stickers and other options, and we will have “new-style” and “vintage-style” patches and maybe more objects for sale at the Valley Funale. They’ll be $5 (+ postage, if anyone wants us to send some).
4. Sponsorships have still been coming in. We are now up to 20 bib sponsorships — half-way to the goal. As we had to cancel this year’s Chatanika Challenge, this leaves more time for your business to get its name on a TRDMA racing bib! Sponsorship information is here.
The 2015 Chatanika Challenge is cancelled.
Due to open water and other poor trail conditions, low sign up numbers and time running short we are forced to cancel this years race.
We will have the Valley Funale on March 28th and will post available race lengths closer to the day. All depends once again on trail conditions.
Thank you for your understanding.
The Yukon Quest has come and gone through town — many thanks to the long list of TRDMA volunteers who have helped getting all 16 quest finishers safely across the road crossing east of Two Rivers. So a shoutout to Edie for coordinating (until the last minute before she left town), Amanda, Chase, Chris, Christian (who never was called out, even though he wanted to!), Darlene, Derek, Jeremy, Judy, Liz, Riley, Rob, Shaynee and anyone I may be forgetting here, as well as the Two Rivers Checkpoint (Becky Alexander) for donating the leftover straw to us and Bart to go out and get it on short notice.
We also welcome new sponsors. We are very very grateful to Randy and D’Ann Chappel for their extremely generous donation (which includes, but goes far beyond, a bib sponsorship), and to our second gold-level sponsors, Golden Heart Veterinary Services. Valley Hoe, Frisky Pups Bed and Breakfast, Kim & Harry Douglas, and Dawn Beckwell join our bib sponsors, bringing the total up to
18 19. Many thanks to all of you!
And there is more: Donations and sponsorships for prizes for our upcoming 2015 Chatanika Challenge 100 and 200 mile races:
- RES Metal Works has offered to make and donate trophies
- Phoenix Rising Body & Paint is sponsoring a entry fee refund drawing: One finisher of the 100 mile and of the 200 mile race, respectively, will get will each be awarded their race entry fee in full (on top of any other earnings). The name of the lucky mushers will be randomly drawn at the Finish Banquet and the awardee must be present to win
- … and there will be more, including a hand-made knitted hat
Which brings me to the last point: Registrations are open! Our trail crew is hard at work laying out an interesting, new and challenging race trail. Our volunteers are getting organized — let’s get racing! For all inquiries, don’t hesitate to email us at email@example.com.
The Two Rivers 200 (and 100) mile race, the main event of our racing season, is only 5 weeks away, and thanks to the generosity of many businesses (and individuals!) we’ll finally be able to replace our old set of racing bibs!
Our gratitude goes to the following bib sponsors, truly a list of engaged and supportive small and/or local businesses and groups.
No Mountain Software
Alaska Rubber & Rigging
Phoenix Rising Body & Paint
Alaska Line Builders
Standing Bear Creations
The Tree King
Nicolle Hendrix (volunteer)
Pleasant Valley Store
Howling Downs Peonies
and Carpenters Local 1243
Would you like to join your name to the list? There are 29 bibs still available to sponsor to reach our goal. Personal bib sponsorships are also gladly accepted and go to our new logo design and other set up fees.
Bib sponsorships are $100, and we have a full page of information about all our sponsorship levels. Or directly fill in the form below and get redirected to PayPal for payment (credit/debit cards accepted — you don’t need a PayPal account).
Thank you all so much for your support!
A very happy, inspiring and beneficial new year 2015 to all our members, supporters and friends!
Our 2014/15 is finally getting started tomorrow, January 2, 2015, with our Solstice 50/100 race, rescheduled from the original date 2 weeks ago. And we have to hurry — the days are already getting longer. Our trail crew has put it tireless work to assemble a full 100 mile trail (50 out, 50 back), starting at the Pleasant Valley Store, mile 23 Chena Hot Springs Road. We still have race slots available, so come along on raceday and sign up (between 8 am and 9 am)!
All information as well as race updates on this year’s Solstice race page.
We are making upgrades over the summer. Temporarily, PayPal is not available, and we’re looking into the best way to bring electronic payments back for the next season.
Meanwhile, the next summer volunteer planning meeting is taking place Wednesday June 18th, 7 pm @ Two Rivers Lodge.
Our season-end event, the Valley Funale, took place yesterday, March 29th, at the Pleasant Valley store. With an Easter egg hunt and community potluck, this is a nice fun event, with some adult races (10 dogs/20 miles and 6 dogs/10 miles) and kids races (1 dog, on a loop behind the Pleasant Valley Store). Results below!
10 dogs/20 mile
6 dogs/10 mile
We cordially invite everyone to our season-end event: 10 and 20 mile races for adults, fun races for children, potluck, and fun!
PLEASE NOTE that the sign-up for kids’ races will start at 12:30, a little earlier than the flier says.
The race has started. Updates here.
Musher list with bib numbers (start order):
Two Rivers 200 mile race
- Arthur Sutton
- Will Rhodes
- Nick Guy
- Raelynn Shover
- Rolland Trowbridge
- Riley Dyche
- Kristin Knight Pace
- Yuka Honda
- Mary Helwig
- Alan Eischens
- Patrick Beall
- Benjamin Good
- Chris Ciancibelli
- Matt Hall
- Tony Angelo
- Joanna Jagow
- Shaynee Seipke
- Amanda Gecas
- Thomas Lesatz
- Cody Strathe
- Zoya Denure
- Stephanie Ehlenfeldt
Two Rivers 100 mile race
3. Pato Geron
4. Derek Patton
5. Dennis Kananowicz
We reached the entry limit for the 2014 Chatanika Challenge today with Yuka Honda signing up as the 25th musher. We accept sign-ups on a waiting list (please hold off with payment!).