Our race planning and trail teams are hard at work preparing for the 2015 Chatanika Challenge dog sled races. This site will be updated shortly to provide you with more information, but for the moment, here is what we can tell you:
- The race dates remain as announced, March 13-15, 2015, with a required bib draw and mushers’ meeting on Thursday March 12.
- There will be a 200 mile and a 100 mile class.
- The race will run through the same areas as in previous years — from the Chatanika valley over to the Two Rivers trail system and the Chena River State Recreation Area, ending at the Pleasant Valley store.
- However, because of the increased logging activity and the overall bad state of some of our trails caused by the weather of the last two years, we have been looking at some changed and entirely new sections, to ensure we can offer all our racers an interesting event over a full 200 miles. As a consequence, checkpoint locations and even the exact start location are still being decided upon.
- Sign-up will be entirely online, opening on Sunday February 8 at noon Alaska time.
- Entries will be limited to 25 in the 200 mile class and 15 in the 100 mile class. If we receive more entries, available race slots will be filled on a first-come basis (complete & paid-up entries only) and the remaining applicants will be placed on a waiting list. This limitation is rather conservative, and if we find we have more space than expected we may revise the limit.
- We will need volunteers to staff checkpoints, help with the start and general logistics. If you are available on the race weekend or shortly before, please leave a message here or on our Facebook page.
All other information will be provided in a few days — we’re working hard on hammering out the details. So watch this space – the race is on!