Sign-ups for the 2018 Two Rivers 100 and 200 races are now open. Race start is Friday, January 19, 2018, at Chatanika lodge.
This post is to sign up for the annual TRDMA rabies vaccination clinic.
The event is taking place on Sunday, October 22, 2017 from 11 am to 3 pm at the Pleasant Valley Community Center (behind the Pleasant Valley Store, milepost 23). You can get your pet or whole kennel vaccinated for the low cost of $10 per dog or $15 per cat (prices subject to change based on the price of the vaccine).
Payment by cash or check due the day of the event, please.
To help getting everyone served without long waiting times, please pre-register and bring a list of all animals using our printable form. Here is how it works:
Complete the form below (or go to the form on a new page).
Download the animal list form, print it out at home, complete it, and bring it along. This form is important! It helps us with the event logistics and will remain in Dr. Olson’s records. (We will have forms on hand during the event.)
Show up with your whole gang!
TRDMA club events during the 2017/18 season will be:
- Two Rivers Funjor, Oct. 15. A 5K canicross event, or 10K bikejor, or 1K canicross relay. Run it with a dog or bike it with a dog. Or run it with stuffed animal dog. Sign up online!
- Solstice 50: Saturday, Dec. 23, Two Rivers. Signups start Dec. 1 online.
- Two Rivers 200/100: Friday, Jan. 19 to Sunday Jan 21. Start at Chatanika Lodge. Signups start Oct. 8 online.
- Hamburger Run: February. Date TBA. Two Rivers to Angel Creek Lodge.
- Valley Funale: March. Date TBA. Pleasant Valley Store.
For updated information and upcoming links to individual race pages please consult the Races and Events page.
The 2017/2018 season is soon starting again, and there is a lot of business to take care of. We will therefore hold our first meeting of the season on Wednesday, September 6, 2017, at 7 pm at the Two Rivers Lodge.
- Open board positions. The positions of President and Vice-President are currently open. Please consider putting your name forward!
- Volunteer positions: We will also need to re-organize and fill volunteer positions. Are you able to help with trail work, volunteer coordination, sponsor relations (!!) please let us know.
- Planned canicross race! As the first race of the season, a 5k canicross race (that is, a dog-powered runner — bring one live dog or stuffed dog) is in planning. Tentative date: October 14, 2017. Other details to be determined.
- Other old and new business.
Our membership year begins in September, and we will have membership forms and electronic payment for the 2017/18 season available soon.
(NOTE: The date was erroneously given as Tuesday, Sep. 5, in a previous version. We apologize for the confusion.)
At our next regular monthly membership meeting, we will be holding the annual board elections, on Wednesday April 5, 2017, 7pm at Two Rivers Lodge.
We have multiple open board positions to fill. Please come, vote, and consider volunteering, to continue the excellent work started by the current board!
President – Open
Vice President – Open
Secretary – Lia Amundsen
Treasurer – Ryne Olson
Musher at large – Matt Hall
Volunteer Coordinators – Cathy Turinsky & Amanda Smith
Web master: Chris Waigl
Trail Boss – Open
Sponsorship Committee – Open
In other news, our annual end-of-season event and potluck, the Valley Funale, will take place on Saturday, March 25 at the Pleasant Valley Store. Volunteers are needed! Follow the link for more information!
With March already upon us, the race season is winding down! If you haven’t followed along, you can find on this site the results for the 2017 Two Rivers 100/200 mile race and of the 2017 Burger Run — 30 miles, mushers and skijorers.
Upcoming: The Valley Funale on March 25th, at Pleasant Valley Store.
Every season, the first event organized by the Two Rivers Dog Mushers Association is not a race, but our annual rabies vaccination clinic in collaboration with Dr. Jeanne Olson, DMV, of Raven Veterinary Services in North Pole. Low-price rabies shots are available for a low price ($10 for a dog and $15 for a cat), and we usually manage to get well over 100 — in busy years several 100 — dogs and cats up to date with their rabies protection. The event is also an opportunity for mushers to exchange race plans, gossip, and news from their dogs. It is also nice to mix with the Two Rivers and Pleasant Valley neighbors, who bring in their pets.
Yesterday was this year’s date, and it was the first time we used the Pleasant Valley Community Center (right behind the Pleasant Valley Store) as a base of operations. It turned out to be a pleasant and roomy space, with tables to sit down at for animal owners to fill in their paperwork. After a very busy first hour — everyone seemed to arrive on the dot at noon when we opened — things calmed down a bit, and we ended up with 152 vaccinated animals (144 dogs and 8 cats).
Many thanks to Dr. Olson, to Stephanie Ehlenfeldt for organizing everything and Life Rhythms Massage for sponsoring the rental of the space. Also to the Pleasant Valley Community Association for being great to work with, and the following volunteers:
- Abbie West
- Judy Currier
- Debbie Seegall
- Cindy Kirgan (who also brought the most excellent baklava)
- Greg Stoddard
- Becky Cummings
- Chris Waigl
(Please leave a comment if anyone is misspelled!)
Next TRDMA vaccination clinic: In a year.
Next TRDMA date to note: Monday, October 7, 7:30 PM, Two Rivers School — membership and volunteer meeting.
To finish, a few pictures for your enjoyment.
The season is starting! Please note the following dates and events:
- Our first membership & volunteer meeting will take place on September 16, 2013, at 7:30 pm at the Two Rivers School. You can renew your membership during the meeting. Starting October, we will return to the first-Monday-of-the-month schedule. The most important agenda items are:
- Filling the vacant board seats
- Our race schedule and start of preparations for the Two Rivers 200
- Sponsorship and marketing
- Licensing obligations
- Our annual rabies vaccination clinic run by Dr. Olson of Raven Veterinary Services, North Pole, will take place on Saturday, September 20, 2013 from noon to 4pm at the Pleasant Valley Community Center. Please pre-register here or via the form below, and then download and print the animal list sheet and bring it completed to the event. (with each animals name, age (first rabies vaccine? or booster?), color, weight, sex (intact?), and the ownerʼs name, address, and phone number). You can also print our flyer and help spread the word.
Welcome to the new TRDMA web site! We want to offer our members, supporters and the interested public a much better web presence. As I am posting this, the first stage in our transition is in progress. Here is the plan:
- Transition all the content from our old web site at trdma.org (including historical race results etc) to the new site (currently at trdma.info).
- Transition our mailing list to the new server.
- Switch the domain name back from trdma.info to trdma.org
- Add new features such as automated on-line sign up, merchandise etc.
Why is this so complicated?
Mostly this process is so complicated because we don’t only have to move a site but also a mailing list. The second reason is that our old site is a very manual and hard-to-maintain site and our new site uses a content management system (WordPress). The old site has been hosted for us for free by a member (many thanks!!), but with the new site we are moving to a large-scale web host. This is a transition for our very small team of volunteers!
Thank you for your patience, and please let us know in the comments what you think and what you’d most like to see here!